Bill Russell et les joueurs d'aujourd'hui

by jujug

Return to “Bill Russell 80th Birthday”

jujug

Greatest

Bill Russell et les joueurs d'aujourd'hui

Post by jujug » 12 February 2014, 15:43

Bill Russell est un immense joueur et un grand exemple pour des joueurs de nombreuses générations. Dans ce sujet, nous allons compilé quelques entretiens entre lui et des joueurs encore en activité ou récents retraités, montrant l'influence majeure de Russell sur le basket d'aujourd'hui et le respect que les grands joueurs d'aujourd'hui lui accordent.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

BILL RUSSELL & TIM DUNCAN
THE GIANTS

Pour commencer,l'entretien en neuf parties de Bill Russell avec Tim Duncan, évoqué dans un message à venir d'ici peu qui met bien en évidence les nombreux points communs sportifs et extra-sportifs entre ces deux géants du basket.
"Some people did not like this ceremonial style. But after all when you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite." (W. Churchill, déclaration de guerre au Japon, 8 décembre 1941).

Baz

Art Director
Paris

Re: Bill Russell et les joueurs d'aujourd'hui

Post by Baz » 12 February 2014, 16:12

BILL RUSSELL & KEVIN GARNETT
THE WE NOT ME TEAM PLAYERS

May 10, 1999 | May 03, 1999 Photographed by: Walter Iooss, Jr.

Dans une interview donnée en mai 1999 à Sports Illustrated, Bill Russell évoquait le jeune Kevin Garnett, alors dans la quatrième année de sa carrière aux Minnesota Timberwolves.
"I like to watch him because of his youthful enthusiasm. He loves to play. And to watch that and to see someone that's having a good time, for me that's the thing."

Russell et Garnett partagent une vision de l'effort personnel voué au collectif poussée à l'extrême. Le WE NOT ME.
Tous les deux superstars, tous les deux pourtant caractériels, ils ont toujours fait passer la victoire par l'équipe avant leur propre rayonnement personnel. Pour imposer l'excellence à ses coéquipiers, il faut commencer par se l'imposer à soi-même, à l'entraînement, en match, chaque jour.

Les voici tous les deux en mars 2008, quelques mois avant la campagne pour la 17ème bannière de Boston, dans une interview en tête à tête. Ils évoquent leur vision du jeu, de la défense, de l'engagement, de la victoire comme unique objectif.

[youtube]zc0a99xr2Rs[/youtube]

[youtube]iy1y7-mUCTo[/youtube]

Les voici quelques semaines plus tard, célébrant le titre.

KG délivrait d'ailleurs un hommage en 2011 à l'occasion de la remise de la médaille du Freedom Achievement par Barack Obama à Bill Russell pour son activisme dévoué à la cause des droits civils.

"When I think of Russell, I think of transcendency," Garnett said. "If you take Bill Russell out of history, then a lot of us are not even here. Not only did he transcend on the court, but off the court, being righteous for what he believed in, speaking up and standing up for that right.
"It was different times back in the day, man. I respect a lot of the [past players] just for what they went through so we could be here today. Bill Russell is everything..."

Garnett, en étudiant avide et insatiable du jeu, poursuit au sujet de l'activisme engagé de l'ère Russell :
"I remember hearing a story of when they got tired of staying in some of the crappy hotels, and Jerry West and Wilt Chamberlain and some of the older players took a stand. I don't think you have a lot of that these days. I don't want to say players are not united, but I don't think we go to extremes to prove a point."

Nul doute que Kevin Garnett aura puisé dans le rayonnement de Bill Russell pour imposer sa propre marque, son propre impact à cette League et au sport en général.

jujug

Greatest

Post by jujug » 12 February 2014, 16:37

Bill Russell et Chris Webber
The first time of my life a white man call me mister

Chris Webber interview Bill Russell début 2013. Il y raconte entre autre avec émotion la surprise de son père lorsqu'il voit ce qu'il est capable de faire sur le terrain lorsqu'ils vient le voir lors du All Star game 1963 à Los Angeles. Et il est également question de pardon, de Mandela, de grand-père, de respect et d'émotion...bref regardez la vidéo.

[youtube]0aj8bN6WAsk[/youtube]
"Some people did not like this ceremonial style. But after all when you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite." (W. Churchill, déclaration de guerre au Japon, 8 décembre 1941).

Garcy22

MVP
College Basketball

Post by Garcy22 » 12 February 2014, 18:26

Pour se rendre compte de l'évolution des morphotypes en NBA, il faut se rendre compte que Bill Russell avait les mêmes mensurations que Taddheus Young (Sixers) qui est aujourd'hui considéré comme undersized au poste 4 en NBA...
"Play hard; play smart; play together" - Dean Smith

Krysi

All Star

Post by Krysi » 12 February 2014, 18:56

Que c'est beau, je me souvenais plus de cette photo promo du All Star Game, après j'ai toujours était largement moins KG que Pierce donc j'avais jamais trop prit connaissance de tout ce qu'ils pouvaient se raconter. Très intéressant.
Boston Celtics Fans

jujug

Greatest

Post by jujug » 12 February 2014, 18:58

Garcy22 wrote:Pour se rendre compte de l'évolution des morphotypes en NBA, il faut se rendre compte que Bill Russell avait les mêmes mensurations que Taddheus Young (Sixers) qui est aujourd'hui considéré comme undersized au poste 4 en NBA...
C'est une évidence, cela correspond d'ailleurs à l'évolution générale de la population. Cela dit par contre, il était déjà lui-même plus petit que Chamberlain donc la diversité a existé de tout temps et la taille ne fait pas tout.

Sinon, dernière contribution incomplète mais il serait dommage de s'en priver, un extrait d'un entretien entre Russell et le Shaq.

------------------------------------------

Here's an article i was reading about Bill Russell in which he comments on his part in the Shaq and Kobe cease fire.
The whole article is pretty interesting but here's the bit about Shaq and Kobe:

Quote:
Russell also talked about his advice to Shaquille O'Neal to end his public feud with Kobe Bryant.
"The only people it's hurting are you and your families," Russell told him.
Think about it: the NBA and its TV partners were actually profiting from it, staging their rematches on Christmas and Martin Luther King's Day to draw higher ratings. Russell also told O'Neal that he would have to be the one to end it. Since Bryant would have more to gain publicly by taking the first step, it might seem disingenuous if he initiated it. O'Neal's peace offering would carry more weight."An act of kindness is an act of strength," Russell said.

D'autres extraits de cet entretien

So what did Shaq and Russell talk about? Everything from free-throw shooting to passing the ball.

The Sporting News: Let's start with Bill. The last time you played in the NBA was during the 1968-69 season. How has the center position changed since then?

Russell: There aren't many good centers (today), so opponents play zone defense against them. The way defenses are now, one thing you have to do is pass the ball. If you are a good passer, then it's a walk in the park.

O'Neal: (The opponents) play zone defense, but I had to learn to adapt to that since high school. I just try to go out and do my job and play hard. Personally, I need to make improvements on the free-throw line and step up on defense. I used to be defensive-oriented, especially in high school and college. Now, (referees) sometime call the games so funny. Sometimes I let a lot go on defense. Now I'm going to try (stepping up on the defensive end) because I like blocking shots. But I'm so big and strong that when I touch ... these NBA actors, they flop to the floor. They say, "Shaq is big and strong; he knocked the guy down." So I sometimes have to back off a little bit (on the defensive end). I'm going to try to pick it up in that category.

Russell: As far as the free throws, I wouldn't stay awake one minute worrying about that It really isn't a big deal.

O'Neal: I'm not worried about it.

Russell: Most of the guys that criticize you for free throws are on other teams or writers. They really don't know what you are doing. One area you should improve on is your passing. There are at least eight different kinds of passes you can make from the center position. That's what you should master-left, right-handed. And you can do things to change the passing lanes. What will happen is, if you become the passer you should be, it will make it so much easier. If you become a great passer, your shots become far more easier. If you can pass, you end up with one-on-one defense. Part of passing is an attitude thing.

The reason you are having problems defensively is because you are starting too late. …

Return to “Bill Russell 80th Birthday”